Let’s be honest, nutrition is one of the hardest changes our [[companyame1]] members experience, but it’s also the most rewarding. Nutrition in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and crazes are always emerging.
Diets don’t lead to long-term success. Why? Because most diets focus on limiting something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also unrealistic. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the correct way to perform properly. Limiting important nutrients is harmful to both your physical and mental health. In addition, research determined that only 1% of people who diet alone actually get rid of their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important part of our program. Since our original 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same method when it comes to nutrition—keeping it uncomplicated! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in how you eat.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” added to our food have considerably changed over the years. We teach our members about making healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to be successful.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program unique?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important part of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to indulge every once in a while, it’s become accepted in our society creating an epidemic of obesity. Our members are taught that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that way. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t keep a tally of calories! We don’t focus on calories because many foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a better fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more important than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific method to figure out your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This helps you know how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, enabling your body to stay in “burn mode” as opposed to “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to include good fat in our diets as it gives our bodies needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get elsewhere.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food goes into our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is taken in, our bodies go into “store mode” turning excess sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members eat smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to fill up the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program realistic. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members are encouraged to celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they eat those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you give your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly made up of water, so drinking the right amount of water is essential to our overall health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps relieve muscle aches. Our members strive to drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help give you the feeling of being full faster, allowing you to keep portions in control.
So, you could spend a lot of money on fad diets, certain meals that keep track of points, recording calories or cutting every tasty food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the price of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and find out how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat everyday, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and increase your confidence and energy.
Find a location to learn more about our comprehensive program and to join! You won’t believe how much you can transform in just 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread each day with the Farrell's program too!